How to Find and Hire the Right Painting Contractor
Using a professional painting contractor takes the stress out of painting your home. But finding the right one is an important decision that requires careful consideration. Use the following tips to hire the right professional for any painting project:
The best way to find a quality painting contractor is to get referrals from friends, neighbors, and acquaintances who have had good experiences with painting contractors in your area. You can also get referrals from your local Benjamin Moore store.
Get Estimates from at Least Three Contractors
When you receive contractor estimates, they should fall roughly within the same price range. If estimates differ widely from one another, ask what is not being done or
where corners are being cut.
Interview Each Candidate
Always ask contractors the following questions:
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you have the proper/required licenses? (This varies by state, and some states may not require licensing.)
- Do you have insurance and bonding? (This helps determine whether your contractor and any hired workers are insured for injury and liability.)
- Are you a member of any national or local painting contractors’ associations?
- Do you subcontract your work or perform it yourself?
- Can you provide references?
- Do you offer written guarantees of your work?
- What products do you use?
Be Specific About the Project
It’s a good idea to walk each potential contractor around the areas (indoor or outdoor) to be painted while discussing your needs, and particularly any aspects of the project that could affect the price. Be specific about which surfaces you want to have painted (walls, trims, moldings, ceilings, etc.) and the paint colors and finishes you want used.
Pay Attention to Behavior
As you meet with each contractor, pay attention to the following signs and behaviors:
- Does the contractor project a sense of professionalism and experience?
- Is the contractor courteous and business-like?
- Is the contractor busy? (Good ones usually are.)
- Does the contractor return phone calls and provide estimates in a timely manner?
- Is the contractor on time for appointments?
Be sure to get at least three references from past customers and speak to them directly. If possible, visit references to evaluate the painter’s work in person and to see how well it has held up over time.
Review the Contract
Once you’ve settled on a contractor, ask for a written contract and review it carefully. As a consumer, you have the right to ask detailed questions about any issues you need clarified. In particular, be sure to verify the following:
- What exactly is being painted (house, trim, walls, molding, etc.)
- Details on preparation and cleanup
- Paint colors for each area to be painted
- How the contractor will protect plants, patios, furniture, or other items
- How much time the project will take, from start to finish
- When and how the contractor will be paid
Once you complete these steps, you’ll be ready to hire the right painting contractor—and enjoy your newly painted home.
Use our Color Gallery to view thousands of beautiful paint colors and color combinations, and visit our Painting Ideas page for great interior design suggestions.